Irish Strawberry Galette
- 250g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g Irish butter, room temp
- 1 Bord Bia Free range egg yolk
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 600g Irish Strawberries
- For the pastry, in a bowl using your fingertips, rub together the flour, sugar, butter and salt until a breadcrumb consistency is reached.
- To this add the yolk and water and mix until a dough is reached.
- Turn this onto a floured table and gently work, wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Once the pastry is rested, knead on a floured surface until smooth. Roll into a circle and using the rolling pin, transfer this onto a lined baking tray.
- Spoon the strawberries into the centre, leaving a 2 inch rim around the edge.
- Carefully fold the edges inward on top of the fruit leaving some of the centre fruit exposed.
- Egg wash the pastry and dust with oats or sugar.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180C and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to rest before serving.
- Best served with Ice-cream or whipped cream