125g soft butter
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125g self raising flour
200g strawberry jam
20 lady finger biscuits
500ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
8 Clarkes strawberries, diced
dash vanilla essence
60g meringue, crushed
500g Clarkes strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Line the base of a 8” round loose bottom cake tin with parchment and grease and dust the base and sides.
- For the sponge, in your mixer, add all the ingredients and mix together until a smooth batter is reached.
- Spoon this into your prepared tin and pop into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tin slightly and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Give the cake tin a clean and line the base with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a carving knife, cut the sponge in half through the middle leaving you with two thin sponge discs.
- Cut each disc into a 6” circle- you can keep the trimmings to nibble on!
- Place one of the discs into the base of the tin and spread some strawberry jam on top.
- Arrange the lady finger biscuits around the inside of the tin where there is no sponge.
- For the filling, whisk the double cream until thick, add the icing sugar, chopped Clarke’s strawberries, vanilla and crushed meringue and fold through. Don’t over mix at this point.
- Spoon half of this mix into the center of the tin and level out.
- Place the second sponge on top of this and spread on more strawberry jam.
- Scoop the remaining Clarkes strawberry cream on top of the sponge and level out.
- Pop this into the fridge, ideally overnight.
- To serve, carefully remove the tin and pop the cake onto a serving stand or plate and top with loads of delicious Clarkes strawberries and enjoy.
- Best kept chilled until serving.