- 125g soft Irish butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium Bord Bia free range eggs
- Dash vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 125g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- 10-12 strawberries, halved for lining the rim of the tin
- 500ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 6 strawberries chopped
- Dash vanilla
- 500g Strawberries on top of the cake.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Line the base of a 8” round loose bottom cake tin with parchment and grease and dust the base and sides.
- For the sponge, in your mixer, add all the ingredients and mix together until a smooth batter is reached.
- Spoon this into your prepared tin and pop into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tin slightly and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Give the cake tin a clean and line the base with parchment paper and place a layer of clingfilm around the inside. This will stop the strawberries from sticking. Set aside.
- Cut the sponge in half and place one in the base of the tin and spread on strawberry jam.
- Cut the 10-12 strawberries in half and arrange around the tin, pressing against the tin to help it stick.
- For the filling, whisk the double cream, icing sugar, vanilla and whisk until thick.
- Add the 6 diced strawberries and fold through.
- Spoon this into the cake tin and finish with the remaining sponge half.
- Chill this preferably overnight.
- To serve, carefully remove from the tin and top with fresh strawberries.