Strawberry & Custard Tarts
Prep: 20 mins
- 1 x 375g pre-rolled puff pastry
- 250ml milk
- 60g egg yolk
- 40g caster sugar
- 10g cornflour
- 10g plain flour
- Dash vanilla extract
- 10 Irish strawberries
- Icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Unroll the pastry and cut it into 4×4 giving you 16 rectangles.
- We are only using 8 today so you can freeze the remaining pastry or double the custard recipe to fill all 16.
- Using a sharp knife score a rectangle border on each piece of pastry and using a fork, make holes in the centre piece.
- Place on the tray in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and risen.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the pastry cream/custard filling, whisk the yolks, sugar, cornflour, plain flour and vanilla together.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and mix with the egg mixture.
- Return this to the saucepan and cook over a medium heat until thickened.
- Scoop into a bowl and place a layer of parchment on top.
- To assemble, remove the centre piece of the baked puff pastry rectangle and spoon or pipe the cooled custard into the centre.
- Slice the strawberries and place one sliced strawberry on top of each one.