Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g butter, room temperature
- 2 medium free range eggs
- dash vanilla essence
- 500g plain flour
Bramley apple filling
- 5 large Bramley apples, peel & chopped (900g)
- 40g butter
- 30g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- Egg wash, 1 medium egg whisked
- 50g granulated brown sugar
- 300ml single cream
- Half tsp ground cinnamon
- To make the Bramley Apple filling, peel, core & dice the Bramley apples and pop into a large pot.
- To this add the butter, sugar and water and place over a medium/low heat and cook for 8-10 minutes until you have a beautiful fluffy Bramley apple puree.
- For the sweet pastry, mix the butter & sugar together until pale.
- To this, gradually add the eggs and vanilla, mix.
- Add in the flour and combine until a soft dough is reached.
- Wrap & chill the pastry for 30 minutes.
- Butter & flour a 12 pan cupcake tin.
- Roll the rested pastry on a floured work surface to a thickness of half a cm. Cut out 12 x 10cm discs for the base and 12 x 7cm discs for the top.
- Line each muffin tin insert with the larger disc ensuring there are no holes or cracks.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Once rested, spoon the Bramley apple puree filling into the lined cases, egg wash the edge of the pastry and pop the smaller disc on top.
- Pinch the edges of the pastry to seal and chill for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan / 350F / Gas 4.
- Egg wash the top of each pie, sprinkle on some brown sugar and make a small incision on top to let the steam out while baking.
- Bake for 35/40 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, allow to rest in the tins for 20 minutes before removing.
- You may need to run a knife around the edges to help you pop them out.
- For the cinnamon cream, simply whip the cream and cinnamon until thick.
- Serve the Bramley apple pies with a big dollop of cinnamon cream and enjoy.