These scrumptious fig crumble bars couldn’t be any easier to make.
A golden brown oatmeal crumb surrounds the sweet fig filling and the best part is, they keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container and they also freeze really well so you can bake them well ahead of time.
Fig Crumble Bars
Bake: 50 minutes
- 430g Gem Dried Figs, chopped
- 250ml water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2tbsp Gem brown sugar
- ½ tsp Gem Bread/Bicarb soda
- 175g porridge oats
- 150g Gem plain flour
- 100g Gem brown sugar
- ¼tsp Gem baking powder
- 170g butter, softened
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Line a 8” square tin with baking parchment paper and set aside.
- Chop the Gem figs and add to a saucepan with the water, brown sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook over a medium heat for 8-10 mins or until the figs have broken down and you have a rough puree.
- At this point remove from the heat, add the bread soda, stir through and set aside to cool slightly.
- For the crumble, simply add all the ingredients to a bowl and with clean hands, run them together until you are left with a breadcrumb consistency.
- Spoon half the crumble mix into the prepared tin and press down to form a compact crumb.
- Spoon the fig mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Finally add the remaining crumb. Spread and gently press down.
- Place this in the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool full before portioning.