Prep: 35 minutes
Baking: 10 minutes
- 4 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 65g self-raising flour
- 40g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml double cream
- 150g 55% dark chocolate
- 300ml double cream
- 30g icing sugar
- Dash vanilla
- 200g dark chocolate
- Cocoa powder
- For the sponge, preheat the oven to 200C / 180C fan / Gas 6.
- Line a 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar until pale, frothy and thick.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa into this mix and very carefully fold it in trying to keep in as much air as possible.
- Pour into the lined tin and spread evenly into all four corners and bake in the centre of the oven for 8-10 minutes
- Place a piece of parchment paper bigger than the sponge on your work surface and turn out the cooked sponge onto this. Roll up (from the longer edge) using the paper, rolling with the paper inside. Set aside to cool.
- For the ganache, place the chocolate and cream in a plastic bowl and heat in your microwave on medium heat until the cream and chocolate combines to leave a smooth consistency.
- Place in the fridge for one hour to firm up.
- For the filling, simply whisk the cream, sugar and vanilla until thick & keep chilled until needed.
- For the chocolate bark, melt the dark chocolate and pour this onto a lined baking tray, spread out to cover the tray and chill.
- Carefully unroll the cooled Swiss roll and spread the vanilla cream in the centre.
- Re-roll and don’t worry if the sponge cracks as its going to be covered with ganache. Taking the ganache from the fridge, beat with a wooden spoon so its spreadable. Using a pallet knife, cover the rolled sponge with the ganache.
- At this point the chocolate bark will be set, just break it up in random pieces and attach these to the ganache. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.
- Cover well and this can keep for up to 2 days in the fridge before serving.