Prep time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
- 500g strong flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 14g dried yeast
- pinch salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 300ml milk
- 70g raisins
- 70g dark chocolate drops
- 40g butter, room temperature
- zest 1 orange
- 60g plain flour
- Golden syrup/honey to glaze
- Into your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, add the salt, strong flour, caster sugar, yeast, spices, eggs & lukewarm milk. (Keep the yeast and the salt separate)
- Mix this together for 5 minutes until you have an elastic dough.
- Add the butter and mix until completely blended into the dough.
- Place this dough into a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen cloth and leave somewhere warm until its doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, knock the air out and place back in the mixing bowl with the dough hook attachment.
- Add the orange zest, raisins and chocolate drops and mix until combined.
- Turn this dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 12 balls.
- Place these on a lined baking tray allowing some space in between and cover with a cloth and prove again until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan.
- To make the hot cross bun topping, simply mix the flour with some water until you have a thick flour paste.
- Pop this into a piping bag and just before the buns go into the oven, pipe a cross on the top of each one.
- Place these into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once baked, remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, glaze the hot cross buns with warm golden syrup or honey.