The Victoria Sandwich is a classic, easy bake cake recipe. This one uses strawberry jam, but you can substitute for raspberry or your favourite jam for garnish. If you’ve never made a sponge cake, this a great way to get started!
- 225g room temp butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- Whipped double cream
- Strawberry Jam
- Seasonal berries
- Icing sugar
- This is one of the easiest all in one sponge methods.
- Simply grease and line 2×8” round sandwich tins.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, flour, sugar, butter and baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Divide this batter between the two tins and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, place one cake upside don on the cake stand, spread with a layer of jam and then with a layer of cream. Top with the remaining sponge topside up and dust with icing sugar and finish with seasonal berries.