125g soft Kerrygold butter
125g caster sugar
1 medium egg
dash vanilla essence
250g plain flour
5 Irish Bramley apples
1 tbsp Kerrygold butter
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp water
Egg wash (1 whisked whole egg)
2 tbsp caster sugar
250ml single cream
1 tsp icing sugar
Pinch cinnamon or clove
- For the pastry, in a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until soft & pale.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mix.
- To this add the sieved plain flour and mix to form a dough.
- Wrap and chill for 30-40 minutes.
- For the apples, peel, chop and pop into a pot with the sugar, butter and water.
- Cooker over a gentle heat until the fruit is soft but not pureed.
- At this point, you can add a pinch of cinnamon or clove to the apples.(optional)
- Once cooked, remove and chill until needed.
- Grease and dust a 10” round tart tin and set aside.
- Roll 3/4 of the pastry on a floured surface and line the tin.
- Keeping all the excess pastry along with the remaining 1/3 for the top of the tart.
- Pop the tart base in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Line the tart base with parchment and add your baking beans and bake for 12 minutes, remove the parchment and baking beans and cook for another 10 minutes or until the base is lightly golden brown.
- To the cooked cooled base, add the apples and set aside.
- Roll the remaining pastry and cover the top of the apple pie.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Pop this back into the hot oven and bake for a further 45minutes or until the top of the tart is golden brown.
- For the spiced whipped cream, whisk the cream and add the icing sugar and chosen spice and serve on the side with your apple pie & enjoy!