Makes 20-22 biscuits
125g caster sugar
1 medium egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
2 medium egg whites
110g caster sugar
Dash vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g desiccated coconut
1 drop red food colouring
150g strawberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- For the biscuit base, in a mixing bowl cream the room temperature butter, sugar and vanilla together until creamy and pale.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Finally add the flour & combine.
- Wrap the dough and chill for one hour.
- Once rested, on a floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle measuring 15”x 12”.
- Cut out rectangle biscuits measuring 1.2” x 3.5”, you should get 20-22 biscuits.
- Place them on two lined baking trays and pop into the oven for 12 minutes.
- When cooked, remove to cool slightly on the tray and then remove and pop onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the coconut meringue, Place the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar into a clean dry glass or metal bowl.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil and once it boils, turn it down to a gentle simmer.
- Pace the bowl over the simmering water ensuring the water is not touching the bowl and using a hand mixer, whisk for 4-5 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Add in the vanilla and the red food colouring and mix.
- Pop the baby pink meringue into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle and pipe two lines of meringue on top of the cooled biscuit.
- Sprinkle the top of the meringue with the coconut and finish with a piping of strawberry jam down the center.
- Tuck in & enjoy!