This chocolate clementine trifle recipe is a perfect twist on a classic dessert that all the family can enjoy. It’s decadent, luxurious and almost too good to eat and would be the centrepiece to grace any table this Christmas.
Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 75g self-raising flour
- 20g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 75g caster sugar
Swiss Roll Filling
- 100g icing sugar
- 125 butter
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 x 135g packs orange jelly
- 1000ml water
- 250g dark chocolate
- 100ml cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- 50g caster sugar
- 100ml cream, whipped
- 1 litre cream, whipped
- 6 clementines
Chocolate Swiss Roll
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a Swiss roll tin 33cm x 23cm with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, add the sugar and continue beating until thick and glossy.
- Finally beat in egg yolks until a trail of beaters remain. Sieve the flour and cocoa into the egg mixture and fold in.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cooked Swiss roll onto a sheet of greaseproof paper dusted with caster sugar, remove the lining paper and roll the cake up from its longest edge with the paper inside. Leave to cool.
- For the filling, beat the butter, sugar and cocoa powder until soft.
- When the Swiss roll is cold, gently unroll and remove the greaseproof paper. Spread with the buttercream and re-roll
- Dissolve the jelly in 200ml of boiling water, once dissolved top up with the remaining cold water
- In a bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate, once melted add 100ml of cream, mix and set aside.
- Add both egg yolks to the chocolate and mix.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and caster sugar until thick and glossy.
- Fold this into the chocolate and finish by folding in the whipped cream.
- In the trifle serving dish, add the orange jelly and chill.
- Once set, place clementine segments around edge and top with the chocolate mousse.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- Cut the Swiss roll and place these on top of the mousse and in the centre.
- Top with whipped cream and remaining clementine segments,
- Chill and serve!