This strawberry & raspberry fool recipe with black pepper shortbread and lemon basil custard is summer in a glass! Traditionally, fools are made by folding stewed fruit into a light creamy custard. As a pastry chef at this time of year, you get bombarded with some of the most amazing summer berries.
My rule of thumb is to keep the best ones for garnish and if you have any bruised or overripe fruit, keep them back to make the most amazing fruit compote. So to take a modern approach on this classic, the lemon basil in the custard and the black pepper in the shortbread are a very welcomed addition.
Black pepper shortbread
- 125g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 125g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
Lemon basil custard
- 500ml milk
- 125g caster sugar
- 6 medium egg yolks
- 20g cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bunch lemon basil
- 500ml whipped cream
Strawberry and raspberry compote
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- 50g caster sugar
- 10ml lemon juice
- For the shortbread, simply put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Put this onto a lined baking tray and flatten out to the edges.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 10-12 minutes or lightly golden brown in colour.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Next step the custard, gently heat the milk and vanilla, when warm take of the heat, add the lemon basil leaves and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until pale in colour.
- Pour the infused milk through a sieve over the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Return to the heat and stir continuously until it starts to thicken. Chill.
- When the custard is cooled, depending on how long you cooked it for, feel free to add pouring cream to change the consistency to your liking.
- For the compote, very simply, hull and quarter the strawberries, place them in a pot with the raspberries, sugar and lemon juice, cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and all ingredients are combined. Cool.
For the fruit fool, its so easy, simply layer the crumbled shortbread, whipped cream, berry compote, lemon infused custard along with some fresh summer berries in jam jars or dishes of your choice.
Top with the shortbread, garnish with some lemon basil and serve.