- 125g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- dash vanilla essence
- 125g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 250ml milk
- 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Gem custard powder
- 200ml whipped cream
Strawberry and raspberry compote
- 1/2 punnet of strawberries
- 1/2 punnet of raspberries
- 30g caster sugar
- dash lemon juice
- For the shortbread, preheat your oven to 170°C.
- In a bowl, add all the shortbread ingredients and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Put this onto a lined baking tray and flatten out to the edges.
- Bake in a preheated oven 10-12 minutes or lightly golden brown in colour.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Next step the custard, add 2 tbsp of milk to the custard powder and sugar and make a paste.
- Gently heat the remaining milk in a pot and once warmed, add the custard paste and still over a medium heat until thick. remove from the heat and place a layer on cling film directly on top to stop a skin forming and set aside until needed.
- For the compote, very simply, hull and quarter the strawberries, place them in a pot with the raspberries, sugar and lemon juice, cook gently for a few minutes until soft. Cool.
For the fruit fool, its so easy, simply layer the crumbled shortbread, whipped cream, berry compote and custard along with some fresh summer berries in jam jars or dishes of your choice.