Sticky honey & sesame prawns
16 tiger prawns
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 egg white
1/2 tsp salt
120g plain flour
60ml chicken stock
1 tbsp soya sauce
3 tbsp caster sugar
3 tbsp Boyne Valley Organic Honey
2 tsp cornflour
Veg oil for frying
4 spring onions
1 tsp sesame seeds
100g cashew & peanuts (optional)
- Turn on your deep fryer and set at 180C.
- For the prawn marinade, add the vinegar, salt, egg white to the prawns and mix well.
- Allow to marinade for 10 minutes.
- Once the prawns are marinated, add in the flour and mix until a sticky batter covers the prawns.
- Once coated, carefully drop into the hot oil and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove and drain on a paper town.
- Cut the spring onions and keep the white ends for the sauce and the green tops for garnish.
- To make the sticky sauce, in a bowl add the chicken stock, soya sauce, caster sugar and honey mix well & set aside
- Into a hot pan, add some oil and add the spring onion ends and cook for 1 minute.
- To this add the sweet honey liquid to bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, dilute the cornflour in 2 tablespoons of water and add to the liquid.
- Stir this well until it thickens and continue to cook until it reduces and starts to caramalise.
- To this add the crispy prawns back into the sticky liquid along with the sesame seeds,nuts and mix.
- To serve, add with the spring onion green tops and serve hot with boiled rice.