Rhubarb lemon cake
6 medium Ryans Irish rhubarb stalks
150g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 lemon zest
1/4 tsp almond essence
200g plain flour
50g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bread soda
- Preheat your oven to 170C/150C fan.
- Line the base of a 8” round loose bottom cake tin with parchment paper.
- Grease and dust the sides and base. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the rhubarb.
- Cut the raw rhubarb into equal lengths and set aside.
- For the cake batter, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix.
- To this add the vanilla and almond essence and the lemon zest. Mix.
- Sieve the flour, bread soda, salt and baking powder and add to the mix along with the ground almonds. Combine.
- Finally add the buttermilk and mix until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Spoon this mix into the prepared tin.
- Arrange the prepared rhubarb slices on top of your cake mix in any design you like.
- Pop into the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- So serve, dust with icing sugar and serve with a big dollop of freshly whipped cream.