Heart sponge (for the center)
225g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
225g self raising flour
1/2 tsp red food colouring paste/gel
50g icing sugar
drop of red food colouring paste/gel
3 medium eggs
80g caster sugar
1 tsp red food colouring paste/gel
85g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g icing sugar
- For the heart center sponge, preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Line 8” square baking tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and food colouring until you are left with a smooth cake batter.
- Scoop into the lined tray and pop into the center of a preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Once baked, remove and cool.
- Pop into the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
- When this sponge is cooling make the buttercream by mixing the room temperature butter, icing sugar and colouring to resemble a soft paste.
- Remove the cold sponge from the fridge and, using a carving knife, trim the brown edges from the sides, top & bottom to reveal the pink sponge.
- Using a small 2cm heart cookie cutter, cut out 12 hearts and stick them together using the buttercream to create a long line of hearts.
- Pop into the freezer.
- To make the Swiss roll, Preheat your oven to 200C/180Cfan.
- Line a 9×12 inch baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a kitchen mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the eggs, caster sugar, colouring and vanilla for 6-8 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Fold in the sieved flour and spoon onto the tray.
- Spread out evenly and pop into the oven for8 minutes.
- While it’s baking, place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface and dust with caster sugar.
- When the Swiss roll sponge is cooked , carefully turn out onto the paper and remove the parchment paper from the sponge and roll up in the sugared parchment and allow to cool.
- While this is cooling, make the vanilla buttercream filling, simply whip the butter, sugar and vanilla until soft and fluffy.
- To assemble, carefully unroll the Swiss roll sponge and layer on some buttercream filling.
- Remove the heart sponge line from the freezer and place in the center of the Swiss roll and carefully roll up until the Swiss roll sponge meets.
- Pop into the fridge for 10/15 minutes to allow the buttercream to firm up slightly.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and simply enjoy!