This recipe was made in partnership with Kenwood #BrandAmbassador
Irish Nachos – Loaded crispy sliced potato, spicy beef ragu & sour cream
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
2 tbsp oil
1/2 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 fresh chilli, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
600g minced beef
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp harissa spice
1/4 tsp cumin powder
200ml beef stock
Salt & pepper
6 small potatoes
Vegetable oil for frying
200ml sour cream
100g grated cheese
Fresh or jarred Jalapenos
- Start by making the beef ragu, into a large frying pan, add the oil and over a medium/low heat cook the diced onion, garlic & chilli for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- To this add the peppers and cook until soft.
- Add the minced beef and cook for a further 5 minutes until the beef is broken up.
- At this point, add the tomato puree, spices and tinned tomato and mix well.
- Pour over the beef stock and turn down the heat and cook over a gentle heat for 20-25minutes until the beef is cooked and the sauce has reduced.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to suit you.
- While the beef ragu is cooking, turn on your deep fryer and set it at 180C for the potato crisps.
- Pop the slicer attachment onto your Kenwood mixer and carefully push through the potatoes one by one.
- Don’t be tempted to slice all the potatoes at the one time as I find they will discolour while waiting to be fried so I like to slice two potatoes, cook them, slice two more etc and continue to do so until you’ve cooked them all.
- Place the potato slices in the hot oil and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove and put on some kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil. Season and set aside.
- To serve, place the hot spicy beef ragu into a serving dish and top with the crispy potatoes and serve with grated cheese, jalapenos, coriander and plenty of sour cream. Enjoy