280g plain flour
7g dried yeast
30g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
100g chopped toasted hazelnuts
100g caster sugar
- Grease and dust a 2lb loaf tin, set aside.
- Into your mixing bowl fitted with the dough hook, add the salt, flour, sugar and yeast. Try and keep the yeast and the salt apart until you add the wet ingredients. You can make this by hand or use a wooden spoon but It will take longer.
- To the dry ingredients, add the eggs and room temperature milk, mix for 5 minutes until a firm dough is reached.
- To this add in the room temperature butter in stages and mix until combined.
- Scoop this dough into a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen cloth and allow to prove until doubled in size.
- Once proved turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll into a rectangle measuring 12”x14”.
- Once rolled, gently heat the nutella in a microwave for about 15-20 seconds until soft (not melted) and spread this over the rolled dough.
- Sprinkle on the chopped toasted hazelnuts and carefully roll the longer edge up like a swiss roll, getting it as tight as possible.
- Using a sharp chopping knife, cut down the center of the roll to reveal the delicious chocolate layers.
- You will be left with two srtips and fold them over eachother to create a tight plait.
- Always ensure the chocolate filling is facing upwards as you want this to be the top of the loaf.
- This plait needs to fit into the 2lb tin so you may need to tuck the ends of the plait to fit into the tin.
- Once in the tin, cover with cloth and prove until doubled in size for about 60-90 minutes.
- Preheat your oven 190C/170C fan
- Place the loaf into the centre of the oven and bake for 15mintes.
- Once this time is up, drop the temperature to 170C/150C fan and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Whie the loaf is baking, pop the water and sugar into a pot and heat until the sugar dissolves and set aside.
- Once the loaf is baked, carefully remove and while still warm, brush over the sugar syrup and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin and then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.