3 large eggs
100g caster sugar
75g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
15ml hot water
200g frozen cherries
100ml cherry liquid
50g caster sugar
200ml single cream
1tbsp icing sugar
80g grated chocolate
Cocoa powder to dust
- For the cherry filling, let the frozen cherries defrost and add those to a pot with the caster sugar and 100ml of the defrosting cherry liquid.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 2 tbsp of water and once the sugar is dissolved and the cherries and liquid is boiling, add the cornflour and stir until the liquid has thickened.
- Remove and chill until needed.
- For the cream filling, simply whisk the cream, icing sugar and vanilla until thick and pop into the fridge.
- To make the chocolate Swiss roll, firstly preheat your oven to 220C/200Cfan and line a 9”x 12” baking tray with parchment paper.
- Then, whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar at full speed for 8-10 minutes until the mix is pale and thick in consistency.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa and add to the mix, carefully fold this in trying not to over mix.
- Once mixed, add the hot water and mix through.
- Spoon this onto the lined tray and spread out evenly.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 7- 8 minutes.
- While the sponge is baking, place a sheet of greaseproof paper onto the table top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Remove the sponge from the oven and carefully turn it out onto the sugared paper.
- Remove the paper from the baked sponge and roll it up in the sugared paper to resemble and Swiss roll and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, unroll, and spread on the whipped cream and cherry compote and reroll again.
- Garnish with a dusting of cocoa powder and grated chocolate